Moving houses can be one of the most stressful things you do in life – but with the right preparation and planning, you can guarantee yourself a smooth move.
4 Weeks before the move
- The less stuff you have, the quicker, cheaper and easier the move will be.
- Ask yourself, have I used this within the last year? If not, donate items to charity shops, sell them through various online apps or have a garage sale.
- Confirm your moving date
- If possible, opt for a midweek move and avoid Holidays (you wont be charged more for a van hire)
- If renting, notify your landlord
- Decide on a plan of action
- If using moving firms, start obtaining quotes
- If going DIY, look at hiring van prices and start asking your friends
- Make sure your content insurance covers transit
- Notify relevant companies of your move – Banks, Utilities, Internet, Phone, Bills
- Start collecting Boxes and Newspaper
- Start clearing out sheds and the exterior of the home
- Start packing nonessential items – books, non seasonal clothing etc
Two Weeks before The Move
- Return any borrowed items back to friends & neighbors
- Arrange for post to be forwarded. USPS allows you to do this online for a small fee
- If needed, arrange for a babysitter or pet sitter for moving day
- Research nearby takeaways to plan ‘first nights in’ meal
- Start eating the food in your freezer (and refrain from buying more)
- Start to pack items in the least used room first
- Use the biggest box for the lightest items (this will help boxes from becoming too heavy)
- Label boxes by room and number them (have a list of the contents on a separate sheet to prevent theft)
Four Days before The Move
- Work out the best route for your move
- Are there any low bridges or weight-restricted areas?
- Are there any planned road works?
- Empty & defrost Fridge and Freezer
- Pack a ‘first nights in box’
- Include a change of clothes, toilet rolls, cash, important phone numbers, toothbrush, blanket, sleeping clothes and a flashlight
- Pack away your Kitchen
- Pack your dishes in towels, not newspaper
- Make sure any liquids have secure lids
- Remind your neighbors that you are moving
- They can keep clear any areas the van might need
- Finalize packing
- Keep valuable documents separate and safe
One Day before The Move
- Make sure you have keys to your new house
- Pack and label a refreshments box
- Make sure your cell phones are fully charged – you will need this
MOVING DAY – Loading
- Make sure everything is 100% ready before your first helper arrives
- Have music playing during the move – make it fun
- Leave your contact details for the new occupants if needed
- Take photos of the water, electrical, and gas meter of your old home
- Assign your friend who is best at Tetris to pack the van
- Pack your refreshments box and first nights in box last on the van or drive it there with your personal car
MOVING DAY – UN-Loading
- Take photos of the water, electrical, and gas meter of your new home
- Unpack the refreshments box – moving house is thirsty and hungry work!
- Introduce yourself to your new neighbors
- Prioritize setting up your bed so you can jump in later
- Arrange for take out delivery for you and your probably exhausted friends
Start packing early. Have a strong moving day plan and have plenty of help on the day of. You might just end up enjoying the experience!